The only classes you'll see in LyX itself are ones for which there are
layouts. To use the ACM class from LyX, you'll have to find or produce a
layout for it. Someone may have one, but one doesn't ship with LyX.

Steve Litt has a lot of experience with layouts. It's not terribly,
terribly hard to do, but it takes some work.

Richard

B. Bogart wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I changed from tetex to texlive but I'm not seeing any change in the
> document classes I see in lyx.
>
> From tex info I can see the following classes I'm looking for:
>
> acmconf.cls
> acmtrans2e.cls
> apa.cls
>
> The document classes I can choose from document settings are:
>
> Article (APA)
>
> But no ACM.
>
> I don't see a good correlation between the list of "document class" and
> the text info list of classes.
>
> Any further suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> B. Bogart
>

> Richard Heck wrote:
>
>> LyX does have an APA layout, so you should be able to use it. Check to
>> make sure you do have the APA document class installed and that LaTeX
>> can see it (run texhash as root) and then reconfigure LyX (Tools >
>> Reconfigure). You can use Tools > Tex Info to check what LyX thinks is
>> there.
>>
>> I don't see an ACM layout. Anybody got one? It's unlikely it'd be hard
>> to create one if not.
>>
>> As for references, natbib isn't a bibliography style but something more
>> general. You can use apalike with it, to be sure. You can also use
>> apacite by itself (and the apa.layout file seems to load apacite.sty,
>> which you'd also want). Just choose "default" for your citation style
>> and then, when you put the bibliography in its place (Insert > List
>>
>>> Bibliography), choose "apacite" as your style. Of course, you'll need
>>>
>> to make sure that's installed, too.
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> B. Bogart wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I'm new to tex/latex/lyx but need to write papers in ACM and APA
>>> formats. I see that the package texlive-publishers includes APA and ACM
>>> document classes, and I have the package installed, but lyx does not see
>>> those templates.
>>>
>>> How can I use lyx to write APA and ACM papers? I also need my citations
>>> and bibliographies to be in the proper APA format, but lyx seems to only
>>> give three types citation styles? (default,natbib,jurabib)
>>>
>>> FYI I'm using the ubuntu edgy packages of lyx/tex
>>>
>>> Thanks all.
>>>
>>> B. Bogart

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://bobjweil.com/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto