--- "Paul A. Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> John Kane wrote:
> > Having accidentally spammed 3,000 or so R-help
> list
> > readers with this message I thought I might try
> > again,hopefully in the right list this time.
>
> Might not be spam -- maybe one of them can produce a
> logistic regression
> model to predict the likelihood of you're getting a
> PDF file as output.  ;-)

I thought it was a parametric problem.  No wonder I
have had trouble!
> > I just changed machines and, at first, could not
> get
> > LyX 1.4.3-4 to even load.  I tried 1.5 which
> loaded
> > nicely but would not give me PDF output.  Removed
> 1.5
> > tried using 1.4.3-5.exe. Result : On loading LyX :
>
> >   lyx: Disabling socket
> >   cont class std::basic_string<char struct std:
> > char::char_traits ...
> >
> > Removed and installed from
> LyXWin143Complete-2-9.exe.
> > Loads okay but no PDF generation. My PDF reader,
> Foxit
> > Reader loads but nothing is produced.
> >
> > I have managed to produce a postscript doc and
> convert
> > it using Ghostscript.
> >
> > Could this just be a Foxit problem?
>
> Possible but not entirely likely.  Can you load a
> doc into LyX and then
> use File->Export->PDF (pdflatex) to generate a PDF
> output file (in the
> same directory)?  If so, does it load into Foxit (or
> Acrobat Reader)?

Yes, this  works just fine.  And since I did that it
is working if I do the same from the View menu and is
calling up Acrobat even if I have not set it as the
default yet the file icon inidates Foxit and if I
click on the icon in the folder it opens in Foxit.
Very strange indeed but at least I am getting some
fast PDF's now.

Thanks very much.