I was looking at a previous mail that said you could edit a file to
put in Tipa codes...this got me thinking that perhaps I could do the
same for the Devanagari package.

However IPA and Devanagari are reallly different. A big problem
especially is the "i" vowel which appears *before* the characters but
in unicode is actually encoded afterwards. Using the devanagari
package, in shorthand "ki" would be {\dn Ek}. Uh oh. Also, one of the
vowels ("u") is encoded like this for "ku" - {\dn \7{k}} Not sure how
this would work, or if any of it would work because the vowel and the
consonant have to go together to create a proper symbol - for example,
{\dn E} {\dn k} creates a space between the two characters that
shouldn't be there!

I'd be willing to update the unicode file if someone gave me tips on
how to make the Devanagari package work - website is here:
http://sarovar.org/projects/devnag/

If we could get this working, it would be really neat, since it would
effectively get around the need for the preprocessor. My Sanskrit
teacher told me that I make a lot of mistakes in my assignments when I
use LaTeX no doubt due to the preprocessor making it difficult to
catch my mistakes.