Miki

Well, if you put it inside an equation, then the thin space itself *is* protected. BTW, inside an equation you can also type in the thin space as \, .

I created a math macro for myself called units which does the following:

#1\,\mathrm{#2}

Then, to type in units you just have to Ctrl-m (enter math mode) \units space (enter the value) RIGHT (or LEFT in an RTL paragraph) (enter the units) space space. The result has a protected thin space, with the units in roman letters, as they should be.

Dov

"Uwe Stöhr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Steed, Robert J schrieb:

I'm starting to write my thesis in Lyx and it so happens that I need to use microns(?) in my physical units alot. But I can't get a non-italic ? in math mode. Unicode doesn't seem to work either I get error messages:

Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:μ not set up for use with LaTeX.
As you are using LyX 1.5 you can enter it directly via the keyboard. The only thing you have to do is to use the default encoding for English in your case. Attached is a LyX-file showing this.

You can alternatively use the ERT-command
\textmu
when you add this to your document preamble:
\usepackage{textcomp}

Concerning units, don't forget that there is only a hlaf space between number and units. A half space is produced in LyX with the shortcut "Ctrl-Shift Space" (menu Insert-> Formatting -> Thin
space), see also the attached example.

regards Uwe