Dear Tim.
It does not come out of the box, but you can include a "Toggle read only mode"
option on the Edit menu by simply following the guidelines in this thread:

http://marc.info/?l=lyx-users&m=115896732208455&w=2

For your convenience, I'm including the text below.  Is that what you had in
mind?
On Friday 22 September 2006 18:24, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

> (Note:  I have not tested the following.) I think you can edit
> .../Resources/ui/stdmenus.ui and add a new Item to the edit menu,
> something like
>
> Item "Toggle read-only|Q" "buffer-toggle-read-only"

That works!  I made a copy of /usr/share/lyx/ui/stdmenus.ui to ~/.lyx/ui/ and
included the Item as you suggested (using "T"  instead of "Q" as shortcut)
and it works.  Now I can happily toggle to and fro the read-only mode...

Thanks a lot, Paul.

--
Rudi Gaelzer
Departamento de Física

S. C. Internacional
Campeão da Copa Mundial de Clubes Japão 2006.
http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive/tournament=107/edition=248388/news/newsid=108890.html#internacional+keep+brazilian+flag+flying