Olá Sam,

With respect, where exactly is said that this is an English only speaking list? I've browsed thoroughly through the LyX's site and the LyX's wiki, I've asked for help to the ezmlm program that runs this list and it doesn't say, anywhere, that this is an English only speaking list.

I'm a newcomer to this list so I don't know if such a rule really exists or not, but its meaning, if it exists, worries me. Because this is a LyX *users* list and such a rule would mean that people that are not comfortable in expressing themselves in English -- and I am not saying that was the case -- can't address to this list seeking for help. And it would also mean that you would prefer different language speakers to form their own communities, which is a possibility, naturally, but one that would make us all poorer, I think, as we wouldn't benefit anymore from such a diversity of views, opinions and contributions... and fun, as well, as probably felt David when he learnt that he could also understand Portuguese and not just Spanish as he thought!

I do not think that English natives really appreciate the effort that it represents for a foreigner to express himself in English. They seem to have this singular idea that theirs is an easy language to learn and that it should therefore be used as an "international" mean of communication on all times. If that was the case, then US alone wouldn't have somewhere in between 15 to 60 million illiterates or functional illiterates, by their own statistics. In UK, the government's Department for Education reported in 2006 that 42 percent of school children left school at age 16 without having achieved a basic level of functional English.

Finally, I invite you to do the following exercise: imagine that LyX was a Portuguese developed software... How would you feel if you had some sort of problem to solve and someone answered you: "desculpe, esta é uma lista lusófona" (sorry, this list is a Portuguese speaking list)?

Roberto

Sam Lewis wrote:
Olá Waldir,

Sorry this list is an English speaking list.

--
-------------------- Roberto Gorjão
freelance designer and web designer