Jeremy C. Reed writes:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
>
> > > Is it standard for not being able to align text in a cell vertically? My
> > > capitalized letters are touching the top of the cell border -- but their
> > > is
> > > a big whitespace gap below each character.
> >
> > Is this in the GUI or when you generate a DVI or PDF?  (The GUI gives
> > only an approximate representation of what the final document will look
> > like.) If you're talking about the end product, do any of the letters
> > have descenders? What looks like a big gap below might not look so big
> > with a descender taking root in it.
>
> In the generated output. Not all the rows have a descender (a "g"). Every
> row has the characters jammed up to the top. All the rows appear to be the
> same height. And even the bottom of the "g" doesn't touch the bottom of
> the row (the border), but the tops of letters like "TTL" and "Fl" touch
> the top of row (top border). Looks bad. I can provide PDF.

LaTeX sizes the height of a row in table based on the height and depth
of the font used, irrespectively of the fact that you have letters with
ascenders or descenders. So the space above a "T" is the same as the space
below a "p" such that in case of "TTL" the space below is indeed larger.

However, you can control height and depth through a parameter. Indeed,
LaTeX multiplies height and depth of a row in a table by \arraystretch.
Now, given that the height is generally bigger than the depth, for a
sufficiently high value of \arraystretch you will get a larger space
above than below.

I think that if you put in the preamble the following line:

\renewcommand{\arraystretch}{1.5}

you will get what you want. In case you want a finer control, you could
try using the following in the preamble:

\newbox\mystrutbox
\setbox\mystrutbox\hbox{%
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@}
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Keep in mind that LaTeX uses .7 instead of .85 above, and that if you
follow this second path, you will lose the ability to control the height
of a table row through the \arraystretch parameter.

HTH

--
Enrico