Brian Kidd wrote:
Hello,

I decided to upgrade to LyX 1.5.2 from 1.4.4 and have encountered the problem of having fuzzy screen fonts as described by a few other people on the list. The reason that I wanted to bring back this topic on the thread is because there seemed to be a consensus that the problem was only happening on Mac PPC. However, I'm running OSX 10.4.10 intel. Attached are images of what I see on my screen for the two versions of LyX. I'm definitely puzzled as to why 1.5.2. is not crisp and clear as in 1.4.4. It's definitely harder to read and I won't continue to use 1.5.2. if I can't resolve this fuzziness. Unfortunately, I didn't find a solution within this thread so I was wondering if any updates or new progress has been made with the fuzzy screen fonts?

There was also some comment earlier about slowness of lyx-1.5.* on the Mac. I did not notice any slowness on my intel PC with a 32-bit OS, but I did notice it at the office with an AMD/64-bit OS. And, I really noticed it on my little palmtop Zaurus 3100/debian.

I fixed the problem, with a huge speed improvemnt, by changing display fonts (to Bitstream Charter for just about everything). I think, at least in some systems, that some fonts are handled less well than others.

I bring this up as a hint to others having speed problems, and also to suggest to you that perhaps a different screen font will improve your resolution. I have no idea why this might be dependent upon LyX versions, but that is my experience.

--

David L. Johnson

What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is not
that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
                --Robert F. Kennedy