Steve Litt wrote:
Hi all,

For the first time I've gone beyond book outlining in VO (VimOutliner) and am actually writing the book (via body text) in VO. What this does is eliminate the artificial demarkation between outlining and writing. It's very possible, and in fact quite likely, that some chapters will be ready for writing long before others are fully outlined. In the past this led me to either retard writing certain chapters, or prematurely convert to LyX.

Now, to an extent, I can write one chapter while outlining another, and have everything come out well in the end.

This is not a rigorous process. The VO writing will be only a very rough draft. It can't include things like Tips, Notes, character styles etc. Well, it could, but not without time consuming difficulty. Instead, this is an informal extension of traditional outlining. The goal is still to have the book really take shape in LyX.

So why don't you use LyX-1.5 directly then? Or more specifically what is missing in LyX outlining facilities? I can think of two:

- section folding/unfolding: I don't really understand why this is so helpful for some. IMO, the ability to jump from section to section by clicking in the outlining dock is enough. - drag&drop sections in the outlining dock: right now you have to click one of the 4 outline buttons.

Both features are not too difficult to implement provided that you find a volunteer to implement them ;-)

If you (and others) could describe what you would like to have in the Wiki, it would certainly be helpful.

Abdel.