Ron Lomax wrote:
Can you help? I have downloaded the LyX-1.5.3-1-Installer.exe <ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/bin/1.5.3/LyX-1.5.3-1-Installer.exe> and run it successfully, including the various downloads it triggers (apart from an error message when I try to load the Italian spellcheck dictionary). Now, when I try to use it, I receive an error window:

The entire list of layout files in the menu appear as Unusable.

What have I done wrong and how can I get going with Lyx?

Hope to hear from you soon

Dr Ron Lomax

Either you don't have LaTeX (most likely MiKTeX, as you're on Windows) installed, or LyX was unable to find it during the configuration process, or something went splat during configuration.

First things first: Is MiKTeX (or some other LaTeX distribution) installed, and is it on your system command path? If you run the command 'latex --version' at a command prompt, do you get a meaningful answer?

/Paul