Neal Becker wrote:

Thanks for the example.  How did you insert the optional args that show up
as "opt"?  For example:
\title[Brainlab]{Brainlab:}

I'm using lyx-1.5.3, but I don't see any way to do this.

Menus: Insert -> Short Title;
Command buffer (opened with M-x): optional-insert (and hit enter).

The "Short Title" entry is not fully descriptive -- this inserts an optional argument anywhere the layout supports one, not just short titles (although that happens to be the example you chose). Note, though, that Beamer may let you put optional arguments in some places that the layout file does not support (Insert->Short Title does not function, optional-insert returns "command disabled" in the status line), and the layout may let you put optional-inserts in places that won't do you any good. If you look at a slide in the Brainlab presentation with bullet items, you'll note that the author put the frame display options ([<1->] etc.) in ERT. Until recently, optional-insert didn't work in bullets; I just checked, and it is now enabled in itemizations, but the optional argument apparently affects the list and not the individual item, and in any event it won't do what you want in this context (determine when a bullet is displayed). So you'll need to use ERT to put some options in, and Short Title/optional-insert for some.

/Paul