Jamie,

I have seen such behavior before.  It typically comes from a configuration
in the latex or ghostscript installation, not from LyX itself.
Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where to point you for a fix.  You
might poke around on the web for settings in ghostscript or latex to solve
this problem.

Good luck.

James