Hello.

Since I have moved to Linux (ubuntu 7.04) and installed LyX (1.5.1)
(before that I had Windows XP and LyX 1.5.something), my PDF documents
are generated with low quality, both in Hebrew and English; though,
DVI/PS documents are fine.

I believe that it is somehow related to fonts; and I guess that this is
a problem with pdflatex and not directly with LyX; but when I tried to
generate PDFs from pure .tex files (with Hebrew) using pdflatex, it
seems like it wasn't fuzzy, so maybe LyX DOES have something to do with
that.

For sure, I will add here two files that I have tested. The first test
is in Hebrew and is very simple; I have tried it with pdftex command,
and it worked fine. here is the code:

<tex>

\def\t{\null\hfill íåìù\break}
\def\tt{\null\hfill --- íÉåìÈù\break}

\font\a htimes at 30pt \a\t
\font\a htimes at 30pt \a\tt
\end

</tex>

(forget about the encoding there...)

When I have generated the PDF using pdftex for the first time, I got the
input as you can see in the attached file (test.pdf) - no fuzziness...
though, now when I try again, I just get errors, like "! Font \a=htimes
at 30.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.".

The second test is the following code:

<lyx>

#LyX 1.5.1 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 276
\begin_document
\begin_header
\textclass article
\language hebrew
\inputencoding auto
\font_roman default
\font_sans default
\font_typewriter default
\font_default_family default
\font_sc false
\font_osf false
\font_sf_scale 100
\font_tt_scale 100
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize default
\use_geometry false
\use_amsmath 1
\use_esint 1
\cite_engine basic
\use_bibtopic false
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default
\tracking_changes false
\output_changes false
\author ""
\author ""
\end_header

\begin_body

\begin_layout Standard

\lang english
Peleg Michaeli is writing a test PDF.
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard

\lang english
What is this PDF good for? many things.
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard

\lang english
Mostly - a test.
[...]

עברית
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
עברית
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
שלום שלום שלום שלום שלום!
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
פלג מיכאלי כותב דף שמטרתו ניסיון ב-
\lang english
PDF
\lang hebrew
, ותו לא.
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
פלג מיכאלי כותב דף שמטרתו ניסיון ב-
\lang english
PDF
\lang hebrew
, ותו לא.
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
פלג מיכאלי כותב דף שמטרתו ניסיון ב-
\lang english
PDF
\lang hebrew
, ותו לא.
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
פלג מיכאלי כותב דף שמטרתו ניסיון ב-
\lang english
PDF
\lang hebrew
, ותו לא.
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
והנה נוסחה:
\begin_inset Formula \[
\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{k=1}^{n}a_{n}x^{n}=3\]

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard
וזהו.
\end_layout

\end_body
\end_document

</lyx>

And this code, using LyX and pdflatex (the default, I haven't changed
anything there) generates the second attached file (newfile3.pdf).

As you can see, the English is OK, but the Hebrew is fuzzy.

So - I thought it might be related to TTF - hence I have followed this
tutorial:
http://www.guyrutenberg.com/2006/12/08/using-hebrew-truetype-fonts-with-pdftex/
which looks promising.
Everything went well following the instructions, but in the buttom line
- nothing new.

I would appreciate any help - I am an open-university student, and LyX
is my only notepad - this is how I send all of my assignments (math).

Thanks ahead,
Peleg.

(I hope the attachments will be accepted, but if not, I will send them
to anyone who care to help.)