On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:39:12 +0100
Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Micha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >> So for example you applaud if microsoft decides that each and every
> >> software they issue will be restricted to run only on vista, right?
> >> Curiously, they do not do that.
> >
> > curiously, nothing runs properly on vista, including vista, and they keep
> > implying that nothing will run ok off vista very soon so I guess you are
> > wrong.
>
> You still did not tell me whether you thought it was the right way to
> behave :)

Nothing microsoft is a good way to behave. But more to the point I believe
that if the new library brings in enough usefulness it's good to migrate. If
keeping backward compatibility is not too hard it's useful too, but is of lower
priority.

look at the other side of the coin, if the dev's spend all their time
maintaining backward compatibility they don't spend it on new features/bug
squashing etc. Also, for those of us using newer distros keeping the old
libraries around is not that easy either.

In this case I believe that qt4 was a right choice (for a whole lot of reasons)
and dropping xforms support was also a right choice (for a whole lot of not
completely disjoint reasons).

On the other had you should let the new libraries mature before running over to
them (and qt4 has done that).