Rich,

Having now read the user guide, it looks exactly what I am looking for.

You can write the handout (article), but within the handout include the elements you want in the presentation as well as the speakers notes. Sharing the same illustrations and parts of the text with both the presentation and handout, as well as text for the presentation slides only.

BUT, even though everything is the one file and easily updated in one go, only the elements needed for the presentation appear in the final presentation, and only the elements needed in the handout appear, in the handout

This would make the annual update of my lectures and handouts so much easier, than it is now

However, my lack of experience with Lyx, and even greater lack of experience with Latex, means that I can't get it working at the moment.

Graham.

P.S. After rummaging on my bookshelves, I've now confirmed why I thought I recognised your name, indeed having flicked through the book just now, I feel inspired to re-read it.