Thanks for the tip.
However, I have some questions.

Using Insert->Program Listing is great if you only need one or two listings but keeping consistency throughout a large document is a pain. So I decided to try and create a new layout using the listings package, but I'm getting some unwanted newlines in my output.

I have this in my layout file:

Style CodeBlock
        LatexType                       Environment
        LatexName                       lstlisting
        OptionalArgs            0
        InTitle                         0
        Margin                          Static
        NextNoIndent            0
        ParIndent                       MMMM
        Newline                         0
        PassThru                        1
        FreeSpacing                     1
End

(I added the Newline, PassThru, and FreeSpacing options as experimentation to try to get the spurious newlines eaten, to no effect but I left them in this listing in the
interest of full disclosure ;)

If I give input in lyx (using the CodeBlock environment above) of:

some line of code 1
some line of code 2
some line of code 3

I get output such as:

some line of code 1

some line of code 2

some line of code 3

However, when I use the Insert->Program Listing option, it generates the exact same latex code as my environment, except that I don't get all the extra newlines.

So my question is how do I get LyX to not pass those extra newlines and behave with the environment similar to the Inset?