> 1) If I want the page numbering to start on page x (or at least x = 2),
> how do I do it?

ERT code '\thispagestyle{empty}' will suppress page numbers

ERT code '\pagenumbering{X}' will reset the page counter and use either
X=arabic, roman, or other numbering convention

Some combo will get what you want. Might be a better way.

> 2) I use Document class: article, and LyX version 1.5.3. I can't get
> 'Table of Contents' to work. The only thing appearing is the headline:
> 'Contents' and no more, although I have several chapters in the document.

LyX does not include environments for Chapters in article class (I doubt
LaTeX does either - don't know). I use Sections (not the starred versions -
Section*, e.g.) and it works fine.

-----
David Hewitt
Virginia Institute of Marine Science