On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Oscar Lopez wrote:

Jürgen Spitzmüller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Paul A. Rubin wrote:
Apparently, as of a recent version, LyX loads mathptmx automatically if you select Times Roman as your Roman font. Since mathptmx has no bold symbols, I can see this being a problem, and I'm surprised it was done. In the short term, the workarounds are either to switch your font to
something else or to export to LaTeX, manually edit out the
\usepackage{mathptmx} line and then manually compile the document.

Perhaps a developer can address why the change was made?

Short answer:
http://tug.ctan.org/get/info/l2tabu/english/l2tabuen.pdf
(sec. 2.3.1)

But as Paul has pointed out mathptmx has no bold symbols. Therefore lyx has to load something to the preamble in the case math boldsymbols are required. Either a \usepackage{bm} together with \usepackage{mathptmx} are added or only \usepackage{bm} is loaded. Please note that the first solution produces math boldsymbols with poor quality while the second uses Computer Modern fonts.

Best regards

If you don't _have_ to use Times, why not choose Palatino? It is a beautiful face, unlike Times. I'm happy as a clam -- boldface and all -- with \usepackage[osf]{mathpazo} in the preamble.

Bruce