Jean-Marie Pacquet wrote:
I've recently upgraded my pc's (two laptops and one desktop) from slackware 10.2 to 12.0. I looked at the existing packages for lyx. As I could not find anything more recent then 1.5.0, I decided to build the last stable version on my desktop pc using the appropriate Slackbuild. So, I compiled qt4 (4.3.3) during one day and lyx 1.5.4 during the following night. I installed the resulting packages on my laptop and was quite happy to see that the time spent on compiling was not lost since lyx 1.5.4 was running perfectly. Today I installed the same packages on my desktop (where they were created), and I got a SIGSEGV on lyx startup. The software packages on my desktop and on my laptop are almost identical since I loaded them recently. The hardware is quite old: a Pentium III 500MHz with 256M for the laptop and a Duron 700MHz with 512M for the desktop.

Any idea of what's might be wrong there?

Try running with -dbg init on the working installation. What's the next line?

rh