Actually, there were a number of assumptions made, that we better
off not having been made.  Of course, some of this assumptions were
perhaps prompted by my incomplete description of the problems I am
having with LyX.

I attempted to work with TeX etc. on a previous occasion, and loaded
MiKTeX during this prior experience.  MiKTeX I have kept up to date,
and so the download of the Windows Installer for the complete LyX
distribution simply replaced my current distribution of the various
components of LyX and MiKTeX with the current distribution of same.

Having all the proper pieces does not mean one also knows how to
use the pieces.

Were you were correct is the nature of the files obtained from
Springer-Verlag.  First, Springer-Verlag would not be in the business
of distributing complete publishing packages based upon TeX.  No,
they simply provide class, style, and layout files, which one is to
then use with the TeX distribution of choice as the mechanism of
document layout.  The Springer-Verlag download simply supplements
the tools of TeX/LyX, not replace them.

> I'm going to assume that you meant that you downloaded just
> the LCNS files from S-V.  Also, you did not specify your OS
> any place that I can see.  I suspect that Richard and Abdel
> are assuming from your mention of
>   those page design programs that you're on Windows, but I'll
> try to be agnostic about that.

Yes.  I should have said this; I work in the Windows world.

> > and have
> > attempted to determine the proper location to which the various
> > components of the download should be directed.  That is, shall the
> > .sty and .cls files be placed in the ./resources/tex directory
>
> Your LaTeX distribution will have a localtexmf directory tree
> where you typically want to unpack downloaded styles and
> such.  On *nix systems, the path to it is often exported as
> an environment variable named LOCALTEXMF.  Using MiKTeX
> (Windows), you can use the MiKTeX settings application and
> look under "Roots".  All else failing, you can try running
> 'kpsewhich -show-path=.bst' in a command shell/terminal and
> see what it spits up.  Some (most?) of the directories it
> lists will be part of the base installation, but somewhere on
> that list should be the bibtex folder under your localtexmf tree.

So, some of the files that LyX needs to find must be located within
the directory structure of MiKTeX.  Sounds schizophrenic.

> Once you've found localtexmf, drill down to something like
> .../tex/latex/lncs, creating directories as needed, and
> unpack your download there.
> >
> > What is less clear is the use of texhash, as it is not part
> of the LyX
> > distribution.
>
> No, this is part of LaTeX. Again, if you're using MiKTeX, you
> don't need to access this directly; use the MiKTeX settings
> application and click the 'Refresh FNDB' button.  On *nix
> systems, you'll probably need to run this in a terminal.  You
> don't need any arguments; just run 'texhash'.
> >
> > So, how do I install and make available to me the LNCS
> files, and how
> > do I use them to prepare, or work with, a .layout file?
>
> I don't use LNCS myself, but since it ships as a style file
> rather than a class file, I think you should be able to start
> a new document in the default article class in LyX and then
> add '\usepackage{lncs}' to the preamble (Document ->
> Settings... -> LaTeX Preamble).  If there are any special
> features (rather than just changes to various style
> parameters), you'll either need to use ERT (plain LaTeX) to
> invoke them (in which case they may not look right in the
> GUI, even though they display correctly in the final output)
> or else cobble together your own layout file (section 5.2 of
> the Customization manual).

Some of this sounds useful.  I'll investigate further, and get
back to the group.

> /Paul

wrb