Les Denham wrote:

Perhaps this is exactly the problem Paul has encountered: the error message gives the impression it is a printer problem, whereas the real problem is the difference between latex and pdflatex.

That's the more dramatic version, but even when the document compiles successfully, it may look different generated one way versus another. For instance, I think that font substitutions can occur with, say, a PDF file that would not occur (or would occur differently) with a DVI file, and I believe that graphics are handled somewhat differently by one approach versus another. If all you want is the printed output, this might be ok, but if you are printing a copy (as PS output, perhaps without realizing it) while generating a file (say PDF) for distribution, you might get short-hopped by the differences. I always try to print from a viewer looking at the final distribution version.

/Paul