On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Bill King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > Yes, it's me again, the same guy who couldn't get lyx to work in Ubuntu
 > 7.10.  Just downloaded and installed what is supposed to be a COMPLETE
 > operative LyX/LaTeX/Tex system in windows (from your download page--vers.
 > 1.5.4).  It also DOESN'T WORK!
 >
 > After the installation, I clicked the desktop shortcut.  Nothing happened
 > for such a long time I was beginning to think nothing would ever happen and
 > that the program was just broken.  It took 50 sec. to start, with no
 > indication in the meantime that anything was happening.
 >
 > It's running now.  Apparently it eats up so much of the system resources (in
 > WinXP, 2.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4, 1 GB of RAM) that my system has been dragged
 > down to almost a complete halt!  I've never seen things move this slowly
 > before, EVEN IN WINDOWS!
 >
 > Finally, just as was the case in Linux, it WILL NOT EVEN PRINT ITS OWN
 > DOCUMENTATION!  That is just flat out RETARDED.  I spent a good bit of last
 > night installing every Latex doodad I could get my hands on in Linux.
 > Nothing helped.  Hence, my trial in Windows this afternoon.  Got exactly the
 > same error message.  (Attached)
 >
 > I don't buy the blame-it-on-the-OS mentality that a lot of of software
 > programmers seem to have these days (e.g., broken GIMP on Mac OS X 10.5).
 > If the software doesn't work, it just DOESN'T WORK!  (Btw, the Latex
 > Configuration item under Help wouldn't open at all, so couldn't check that
 > either to see what might be broken.)
 >
 > Thank you for your time.  I'm wiping this crap off both my HDs now!

 I just installed that same version in Windows XP and it works great.
 Installation was very easy (I just accepted the default). The
 installation process automatically installed MiKTeX, ImageMagic,
 ghostscript and aspel.

 First start does take a long time (several minutes here) but after
 that, it's much quicker (6 seconds). And my system (AMD Athlon 3000+,
 2.15 GHz, 1 GB RAM) was as responsive as ever during the 1st start.

 As a test I tried printing the documentation and, again, no problem.

 I have never used Ubuntu, so I can't talk about that. But, I've been
 running LyX under ArchLinux for a couple of weeks with no problem.

 Weird

 --
 Louis Brazeau
 Informaticien