On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, John wrote:

People will remember the Platypus, though, but we already have that.

But in all the time that the logo has been there it never occurred to me that it was a platypus, despite being familiar with the O'Reilly like platypus associated with the original example document.

Same here... and I even saw it recently in an old book from Stroustrup that I was reading!

While I would much prefer that the developers worry about improving and debugging an already superb product rather than fuss over the logo, if you must tinker with the logo, please make it resemble a platypus!

Probably just changing the beak shape, and toning down those awful cartoon
colours would be enough.

Hear, hear!
/Christian