On 31.03.08, William R. Buckley wrote:
> Well, the open source tool Maxima has no problem following a Windows
> shortcut in its browsing function.  So, your position is therefore that
> LyX should be less than it might be, when other open source tools have
> no problem with a simple if arcane function.

The stated position was that this is either problem of the underlying QT
library or Windows itself.

It is a LyX well considered design decision to "delegate" the OS
interface functions to QT.

Creating a workaround in LyX or using a different widget library was
ruled out as too much work or not appropriate for a not so important
issue in a function that should be handled by the supporting library
without extra efforts. In this sense the bug can be classified as
"wontfix" or "works for me".

> The proper ideal for any open source tool should be operating
> system universality,

There was a suggestion to report the bug to "where it belongs", i.e. the
QT library. QT is actively supported, tries to do the "operating system
universality" in a clean and sensible way. Maybe this bug is even fixed
in a current version of QT (or labelled as wontfix even there if the
Windows version that exhibits the bug is rarely used).
In this sense it can be classified as "reassign to QT".

> What really surprises me is the effort various members have
> expended to encourage me not to help your project.

Please be patient with the developers that sometimes feel hurt if LyX is
blamed for something that is not their fault.

Ignoring these parts of the response helps to keep traffic on this list
on a reasonable level.

Contacting the QT people might be the best idea if you want your help to
find the right adressee (as this bug might affect a lot of other
applications that use QT as well).

MfG

Guenter