On 07.04.2008, at 18:51, Walter H. van Holst wrote:

Of course, there are also other vector drawing programs (besides
Xfig), so
what is outlined here is not the only option you have.

If only Linux and Windows are required, I'd recommend Inkscape. It is
much more polished and user friendly than Xfig whose UI is a bit
daunting.

I would recommend OpenOffice Draw. It is one of the few programs that are multi-platform and that provide excellent export to the UNIX world (saying: EPS) as well as to the Windows world (saying: WMF). We have been using it for cross Windows/Linux projects with LyX and some other programs for years.

Daniel