On Tue, 6 May 2008 09:34:33 -0500 (CDT)
Mark Hansel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Now only the "selection" choices are shaded out and not clickable. But the
> > other choices do nothing for me.

> >> Jeremy, is this the case with only single LyX window or are running more
> >> windows simultaneously? Running just one single instance could help.
> >
> > No, only one LyX running.
> >
> > I have a text highlighted in an xterm. But can't paste into LyX. Tried
> > middle click. Tried using menu options.
>
> Workaround:
>
> When I cannot get the desired result (say, from a browser window), I can
> usually get it by pasting into an emacs window as an intermediate step and
> then highlighting and paste into lyx from the emacs window.
>
> Another copy/paste peculiarity (changes from past behavior):
>
> Deleted lines (emacs key bindings: ^k) that have not been highlighted
> won't paste for me (maybe by design). But highlighted lines that are
> deleted (using ^w) can be pasted (probably to move them). Emacs behavior
> is different. Contiguous deleted lines (^k) can be "yanked" back (^y) --
> anywhere in a document. (I do not consider Emacs is the gold standard --
> let's not repeat the editor flame wars -- it is a convenient feature.)

^k and ^y use the emacs kill buffer, not the X copy buffer. Highlighting the
line does use the X buffer.

I don't fully understand the X copy/paste methods but IIRC there are also
several standards which may be some of the problem.

I think it was Helge who pointed out to me some time ago that there was a but
that is supposed to be fixed in 1.5.4 and that sometimes closing and reopening
lyx can reset the problem.