I'm writing a document which references bug reports
in Debian.  The official format of a Debian bug report number is
'#999999'. In order to make these numbers even more clearly Debian
bug report numbers, in my document, I'm prefixing them whe 'BTS',
so now they look like 'BTS#999999'.  I would prefer to stick to this
format instead of losing the '#' or the 'BTS'

When compiling to DVI, I get the following LaTeX error:

        you can't use `macro parameter character #' in horizontal mode

        \item BTS#
                287585, 28
        Sorry, but I'm not programmed to handle this case;
        I'll just pretend that you didn't ask for it.
        If you're in the wrong mode, you might be able to
        return to the right one by typing `I}' or `I$' or `I\par'.

So I tried a couple of things. First Google led me to this:

At http://theoval.sys.uea.ac.uk/~nlct/latex/novices/cantusehash.html
I found some *TeX*-level advice to do backslash-prefixing. I could
see this wasn't really going to work at LyX level, but I tried it.
The result was that the index is generates, the index entry is correct,
but the actual text in the body of the document has a backslash in
front of it. I.e.

        ... see BTS\#287585 ...

        BTS#287585, 28

(Actually it's on page 27, but ... one thing at a time.)

Second, the LyX wiki at http://wiki.lyx.org/Tips/Indexing suggested
an ERT-based way to make indexes yourself, rather than letting LyX
do it. But this did not go well:

I inserted the following in the preamble:

        \newcommand{\index2page}{
        \renewcommand{\indexname}{My second index}
        \printindex[index2]
        }
        \newcommand{\index2}[1]{\index[index2]{#1}}

but immediately the syntax highlighting indicated that 'index2...' was
being treated as 'index' + '2....' and compiling produced:

        LaTex Error: Command \index already defined.

Fine. So I changed all occurences of 'index2' to 'indexa' in the
preamble, in my ERT for the index entry and the ERT for the index
itself.  This was better, but still, I got:

        Undefined control sequence.

with the ERT for the index itself '\indexapage' highlighted. But the
entry defining this is in the preamble.

(By putting a 'date >> /tmp/log' inside the script that the wiki
says to create to generate the index, I determined that that script
was never called before the above error occurred. Not sure if
that's relevent.)

Can anybody offer any advice please? Thanks!

Alexis