G. Milde wrote:
On  3.06.08, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
G. Milde wrote:
On  3.06.08, Nicolás wrote:

Well, one problem I can see is that this could make cut and paste between documents difficult. And it involves a lot of keeping track of what's a child of what.

Not really. Note that labels and cross-references are only updated when
we export to latex.

Does this mean that the labels in child file generated by File>Export>Latex
will differ depending on whether the export is done from the parent or
the child? (Or, maybe,  depending on whether the child was opened
directly or via the parent file? Or whether the parent file is opened
in lyx at the time of the export?)

No, AFAIK labels are not changed at latex export. The one you see within LyX are the one really put in the latex file. Just have a look at View->source to make sure of that. In 1.6, the DUPLICATE markers are only for screen representation, they are of course not exported to LateX.

Not currently.
However I wanted to highlight a possible complication if the proposal of
expanded labels in parent-child documents is introduced: I would really not
like to behave LyX in such an hardly predictable way.

I think we all agree then :-)

IMO implementing the parent-child label disambiguation will need carefull
consideration and might be less urgent (or unnecessary) with the
DUPLICATE and BROKEN markers reduce labeling problems in 1.6.

Right. Note also that 1.6 will also avoid duplicates at label _creation_ or when portion of text is copied&paste. But LyX won't touch the labels of an open document without intervation from the user.

Abdel.