From: Bob Lounsbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to update LyX 1.5.3 to 1.5.5 or higher
To: "Waluyo Adi Siswanto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Waluyo Adi Siswanto
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am using LyX 1.5.3 under Ubuntu(ME).
> How can I update to version 1.5.5 or higher, I could not find the update
> in Synaptic package manager. Is there any command that do the update
> directly to the LyX site.
>
> Could anyone help me..

Programs available under Synaptic are pre-compiled binaries by the
package maintainers for Ubuntu. The only way you'll get a higher
version is if the maintainers update the package version or provide an
updated package through the backports.

However, it's extremely easy to compile LyX yourself from source. Just
install (from Synaptic):
automake
autoconf
gcc
g++
libqt4-dev
libaiksaurus-dev

Then get the LyX 1.5.5 source and:
./configure
make
make install

Done.

If you want to maintain LyX 1.5.3 (and have two different versions of
LyX) then you would:
./configure --with-version-suffix=-1.5.5
make
make install

Cheers,
/Bob