Ok, I reproduced this on my machine and sorted it out. The problem is that LyX passes the path to the output file (sitting in your temporary buffer directory) as "C:/whatever/whatever.pdf". Acrobat Reader is apparently too stupid to cope with the Unix style separators (/ rather than \), unlike most of the programs I run on my Win boxes.

So there are a couple of alternatives that will work. One is to write a batch file that takes the path, swaps separators (a one-line sed script could do this), then calls AcroRd32 with the Windows-fied path. The other is easier *if* you are willing to have Acrobat Reader be the system default reader for PDFs. You may already have that -- if double-clicking a PDF icon opens it in AR, you're there. The easy solution is to put Acrobat Reader's directory on your system path and leave the viewer setting as 'auto' in LyX.

/Paul

bigblop wrote:
Have done as you recommended, I can see that the command "Executing command
acrord32.exe..." is run but acroread does not open. If I press
Ctrl-alt-delete I can see the acrord32.exe process and need to manualy
terminate it if I want to run acroread from windows again.

Paul A. Rubin wrote:
bigblop wrote:
I use LyX 1.5.4 for winXP. I have installed adobe reader in:

C:\Programmer\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

I need to specify the whole path to the above file if I want to use it as
the PDF previewer. But I get an error since there is a space in the
foldername "Reader 8.0". If I manually remove the space all my PDF files
is
no longer associated with Adobe Reader.

How do I specify a PDF viewer with a space in the filename?

Put the path on Tools -> Preferences -> Paths -> PATH prefix (spaces and all), then just put acrord32.exe as the viewer.

/Paul