No, it still doesn't work (either through pdflatex or dvips + ps2pdf
or dvips + distiller).

If I follow your instructions literally, using pdflatex, opening in
Acrobat and saving as PDF/A, Acrobat complains and tells me to use
preflight first. I do so, but this time (from the pdflatex generated
file) I get a different error: "XMP property neither predefine nor
defined in extension schema".

Could it be a problem with this version of Acrobat, maybe? (I'm using
Acrobat 9 Pro on Vista + MiKTeK 2.6)

PS: I'm not sure how the hyperref package could help, as the document
doesn't have any hyperrefs; even the minimal file I posted earlier
fails...

--
Ernesto Posse

Applied Formal Methods Group - Software Technology Lab
School of Computing
Queen's University - Kingston, Ontario, Canada