On Saturday 18 October 2008 07:38:24 pm Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > ~
> >  the thing is that as I read online in order to install qt 4 you need
> > libqt4-core and then to install libqt4-core you need ... so you will
> > be dealing with an apparently endless dependency
> > ~
> >  There should be a way to deal with this, right? What is it?
>
> isn't this the job of your linux distro to care about the dependencies?
> pavel

Oh not that again! Let's try to help this guy.

Albretcht: Look through the LyX-Users archives for a thread with subject "Why
oh why did you drop xforms?" It's a long and sometimes contentious thread,
but it shows a solution to the problem. Be aware that after a botched compile
attempt where dependencies aren't met, you need to remove the tree and
re-untar the tarball. That was the main piece of information I didn't have at
first.

In August 2008 I tried again, and that time I had to use rpm with the
dreaded --nodeps in order to get it to work.

If you were thinking of upgrading to the latest version of your distro, this
would be an excellent time to do so. I had horrid problems compiling 1.5.x on
Mandriva 2007, but on Mandriva 2008 it compiled effortlessly because Mandriva
2008 had the necessary version of qt4.

HTH

SteveT

Steve Litt