On 18 Oct 2008, Jonathan Kroner wrote:
> Does Booksurge accept a Lyx generated pdf, or must it be further processed
> through acrobat?
>
>  1.   If you have self published through Booksurge, please answer whether
> Booksurge accepts LyX generated pdfs.
>
> I will soon be self-publishing a book, preferably through Booksurge.
> Booksurge accepts PDF files, but only if they meet Booksurge specifications.
> However, they do not explain their specifications. Instead, they only
> explain the steps to save/print the PDF from various versions of adobe
> acrobat.
>
> In order to find out whether my pdf will meet their requirements they
> require full payment of their up-front fee. They will not provide any
> additional assistance in determining whether a LyX pdf meets their
> requirements.
>

> 2.   Most of their specifications do not apply to me since this will be a
> black-and-white, no images, text only book. But one area is of more concern.
> They instruct:
>  *"Under the fonts tab*
> **
> *     Deselect the "subset embedded fonts" option.*
> **
> *     Select ALL of the fonts under Font Source and add them to Always
> Embed."*
>
> These instructions are found here for acrobat version 8
>  http://www.booksurgepages.com/Downloads/TwoStepstoPDFv8.pdf
>
>  In my Lyx generated PDF document under "Properties" the "Fonts" tab shows a
> long list of fonts and following each font is written:    "(embedded
> subset)   type 1, encoding: custom."
>
> Booksurge claims they could not answer whether "(embedded subset)   type 1,
> encoding: custom"  meets their requirements.  Any opinions?
>
> Thank you
>  Jonathan Kroner
>  LyX 1.6.0rc3, pdflatex, Windows Vista home premium

I don't know about Booksurge but here are a few thoughts.

1. If you publish via Lulu there is no upfront fee. You only pay for
proof copies you order.

2. Lulu has the same requirement for Adobe-created pdf but, in practice,
the Lyx version created with ps2pdf seems to work without problems.

3. For Lulu, I generally upload the file as ps, and Lulu then convert it
themselves. I don't know whether Booksurge accepts ps. (Actually, Lulu
doesn't list ps as a possibility in their FAQ but you can use it.)

5. Moral of the story: have a look at Lulu before paying money upfront
to Booksurge. It might be worth searching the forums at Lulu for
opinions by people who have tried both.

Hope this is some use,

Anthony

--