James Sutherland schrieb:

Between RC4 and RC% no fileformat change happened.

Sorry, this should be:

Between RC4 and RC5 no fileformat change happened.

When LyX1.6.0 is finally released, the fileformat will be stable for all releases of LyX 1.6.x.

Then why can I not open a RC4 file in RC3? I get "lyx2lyx" converter errors.

You get this as the fileformats are different. RC4 can read files created with RC3, but not the opposite way. But you can open the file with RC4, export it there to the format of LyX 1.5.x and then open the result with RC3.

The same thing happens if I open a new file in RC3 now that I have RC4 installed.

Then it seems that your LyX installations interfere. RC3 contained unfortunately too many bugs for an RC and also datalosses and new regressions, so I would recommend to uninstall RC3 and RC4 and install RC5 that was released today.

regards Uwe