Dominik Waßenhoven schrieb:

In the bin directory is a python26.dll file.

Oh -- I just saw that I have a full Python installed on the WinXP
machine (I didn't realize that, sorry...). It's Python 2.5.1

This means that you have Python 2.5.1 installed but the installer didn't recognize it. I'm currently also on a Vista machine but cannot reproduce the problem. I installed here also Python 2.5.1 and then LyX using my installer. LyX correctly recognized Python 2.5.1 and therefore not installed Python 2.6.

To solve your problems, I propose to uninstall Python 2.5.1, uninstall LyX, install Python 2.6 and afterwards LyX again.

regards Uwe

p.s. I'll provide a new installer version within the next 2 hours that fixes some Vista-specific bugs.