mark anderson wrote:
Hello all,
I am preparing to write an ebook. Have any of you used Lyx to do this?
Lots and LOTS of people have done this kind of thing.

How easy is it to convert the file to pdf?
Trivial: File>Export>PDF.

Can Lyx edit pdf files?
No. But PDF is not a format intended for editing. PDFs can be edited, but that's not really recommended except in emergencies, when you do not have access to the original source.

Would you recommend Lyx for this task or would you suggest some other software?
 I'm thinking about using nitropdf.
That's a completely different sort of product. LyX is a tool for writing, comparable to things like Word, though very different (and much better, or so we think). NitroPDF is like Acrobat.

Richard