On Thursday 20 November 2008 09:58:16 pm mark anderson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am preparing to write an ebook.  Have any of you used Lyx to do this?

Yes.

> How easy is it to convert the file to pdf?

Depending on what you want, between trivial and moderately easy.

> Can Lyx edit pdf files?

No.

> Would you recommend Lyx for this task or would you suggest some other
> software?  I'm thinking about using nitropdf.

2 different questions. I'd definitely recommend LyX for creating books. LyX
can also be used to create a PDF. nitroPDF can then edit the PDF, although I
use pdfTk for that.

I'm assuming the reason you want to edit the PDF after it's created is to
personalize and/or watermark your eBook. Personalization is pure LyX -- just
have a token that gets put in the footer, have a script that replaces that
token with the reader's name, so that the footer on the bottom reads:

"Prepared exclusively for John Customer"

As far as watermarking with a detectable sequence of bytes, I think you'll
need something like pdfTk or nitroPDF for that. Also, if you're going to DRM
the eBook (in which case your customers will hate you), you'll need something
like pdfTk or nitroPDF to do that.

HTH

SteveT

Steve Litt