Hi Lukas, hi Les
thanks for your answers ;-)

Lukáš Oliva schrieb:
  This is probably really offtopic, there can be many reasons and it
would be generally better idea to write to gentoo mailing list.
That was helpful, see below

Several possible problems can occur:
 - are you root? (maybe silly question, just for sure)
sure
 - can you write to the selected path? /usr/lib64/libkpathsea.so.4.1.0
yes
 - have you tried different version of texlive-core?
yes, even tetex-3.0 fails in the same way

googling with the exact error message I found a gentoo bugzilla page, where the situation is discussed (between 11/2005 and 01/2006) and it is claimed the bug is resolved.
This seems not to be true.

But I think there may be a hint how a can work around this problem

Best regards

Hellmut

--
Dr. Hellmut Weber         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Degenfeldstraße 2         tel   +49-89-3081172