Hi,

when exporting a LyX file with embedded .png graphics as "LaTeX
(plain)", .eps files are generated automatically from the .png's. That's
good! However the resulting .eps file sizes can get huge. (from 700K to
110M in one case).

The reason is that LyX uses convert with no options to do the .png->.eps
conversion, generating an uncompressed Level 1 EPS file.

The solution is to set a new Converter PNG -> EPS in the LyX
preferences, like so

convert -compress LZW $$i eps2:$$o

This got the file size down to about 2M in the above example.
Even leaving out the explicit -compress option and keeping only the eps2
(i.e. Level 2) format specification gives acceptable file sizes.
I found this out after some trying around, I thought I'd let you know.

Should this be a default setting? Should I file an enhancement request?
Should I put it on the wiki?

cheers, Nils