rgheck wrote:
> Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:
>>> I guess he was just not aware that [showing page breaks] is actually
>>> not feasible in LyX, as Richard G. Heck kindly explained.
>>>
>> What if it would be feasible ? Would it be an added value or is it too
>> the-non-tex-way ?
>>
> I don't see the value myself. As I said before, in LaTeX (unlike in
> Word) page breaks can change by the character, as paragraphs are
> re-broken and floats are repositioned. I guess that makes me think that
> it isn't even feasible---where do floats appear, vis-a-vis page breaks?
> But even if it were, it encourages one to think in the wrong terms, at
> least during the document-creation process.

I think even that statement might be a more-generous take on the
matter than I would have.

There are two ways a LaTeX editor could show page breaks: by guessing,
which is likely to be inaccurate (so of little value), not to mention
a huge amount of work; or by continually rerunning the toolchain (as
with Instant Preview, but greatly aggravated), which is impractical
and a waste of resources.

More importantly, looking for formatting results such as the location
of page breaks from LyX contradicts the entire design philosophy
behind late-formatting document production toolchains. There are
early-formatting toolchains (so-called WYSIWYG word processors) for
those who want early formatting. TeX, LaTeX, and LyX are not designed
that way.

And, as Richard says, early formatting conflates content and
presentation. There's a reason why the Greek rhetors put style and
delivery in separate canons: we can only concentrate on so many
details at once.

As with most things, there are different benefits and costs to early
and late rendering. Trying to make one tool do both is likely to
produce something with the faults of each.

That doesn't mean it's not useful to ask these questions, of course.
Understanding why LyX doesn't show page breaks means understanding the
principle of late rendering, and hopefully why it's valuable.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus