On 23 Dec 2008, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote:
>> On Monday 22 December 2008 12:46:10 pm Jonathan Kroner wrote:
>>
>> I have a question about the "search inside the book". A publishing
>> mailing list of which I'm also a member is extremely upset about
>> Google's plan to scan all books from the libraries. The thought is that
>> why should customers buy the cow if the milk is free -- if you can view
>> it online, why should you pay for the book?
>>

> My impression is that neither Amazon's "search inside the book" feature
> nor Google's scanning project are going to make copyrighted works freely
> available to anyone.  You'll just get to see excerpts.  For works of
> fiction, I suspect the main virtue is that you can read a few paragraphs
> and see if you like the author's style.  AFAIC this is no different than
> the previews of the next book in a series that you find at the end of
> many books.
>
> For nonfictional works, particularly technical works, I think this might
> stimulate sales.  Before I buy, say, a guide to writing books in LyX, I
> usually peruse it at the local "big barn" bookstore, because I want to
> be sure it's at the right level, covers the specific topics I want, etc.
>  That limits me to the titles those stores carry.  I'm at an advantage
> in that I live in a town with a university, so we have several of these
> stores.  Back in my hometown, I might have been stuck.  Even if the
> local mall had, say, a Barnes and Noble, I don't know that they'd waste
> a lot of shelf space on slow-moving technical books.  So the Amazon and
> Google endeavors may let me locate a suitable book for online purchase
> that I would otherwise not take a chance on.
>
> FWIW,
> Paul

I think this is probably correct. Currently I have two non-fiction books
on Amazon (plus another on the way). Both are now 'search inside'; I
opted for this in the case of Google, while Amazon did it anyway. Both
books are selling, though in small numbers. On balance, I think/hope
that the ability of readers to see a selection of pages will be helpful
to sales. As Steve says, it is much the same as being able to look
through a book in a bookshop.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - a...@acampbell.org.uk