I just published a book through Booksurge created from a lyx generated PDF.
 Setting aside pros and cons of that particular publisher, despite their
lengthy and (to me) incomprehensible requirements regarding embedded fonts
etc., they accepted my lyx generated PDF as is.

The book is all text except for line text boxes (simple frame) and a custom
bullet specified from the document settings menu.

If you would like to see the interior, within a week or so Amazon claims it
will display interior text using its "search inside the book" feature.  This
will "scanned" from the same Lyx generated PDF document. Search for
"Dorothy's Oz Dream:  A Guide to Enchantment and Empowerment."

Miscellaneous specs listed below.

A big THANK YOU to Uwe and other Lyz developers,

Jonathan Kroner

Lyz Specifications

Lyx 1.6.0 and Miktex 2.7
Koma script book class, 12 pt palatino font,
Layout: custom   9.5 x 6.25 inches.
margins (inches):
     top 1.0625
     bottom .75
     inner .75
     outer .875
     head sep .31
The 9.5 x 6.25 inches layout was driven by trying to fit ~40,000 words on
fewer than 150 pages.  Why did I care?  Because Booksurge has a wholesale
price point  jump at 150 pp.
Otherwise, 9 x 6 inches is a more standard dimension for US trade
publications.

I used two ERTs
\date{}     to get rid of the title page's date
\setlist{nolistsep}      to get rid of space between rown in list enviros (I
used this with the preamble entry "\usepackage{enumitem}", see below.

Excerpt from Preamble:

\usepackage{ifpdf} % part of the hyperref bundle
\ifpdf % if pdflatex is used

 % set fonts for nicer pdf view
 \IfFileExists{lmodern.sty}{\usepackage{lmodern}}{}

 % link all cross references and URLs in pdf output
 \usepackage[colorlinks=true, bookmarks, bookmarksnumbered,
 linkcolor=black, citecolor=black, urlcolor=blue, filecolor=blue,
 pdfpagelayout=OneColumn, pdfnewwindow=true,
  pdfstartview=XYZ, plainpages=false, pdfpagelabels,
  pdfauthor={Jonathan Kroner}, pdftex,
  pdftitle={Dorothy's Oz Dream},pdfsubject={Guide to Enchantment and
Empowermentl},
  pdfkeywords={Dorothy, Oz, Enchantment, Empowerment}]{hyperref}

\else % if dvi or ps is produced

 % link all cross references and URLs in dvi output
 \usepackage[ps2pdf]{hyperref}

\fi % end if pdflatex is used

% define page head line
\usepackage{scrpage2}
\pagestyle{scrheadings}
\lehead{\pagemark}
\rehead{\leftmark}
\rohead{\pagemark}
\lohead{\rightmark}
\ifoot{}
\cfoot{}
\ofoot{}

% don't number chapter pages
\renewcommand*{\chapterpagestyle}{empty}

\usepackage{microtype}

\usepackage{enumitem}
%this is for elimnitaing rows b/t items with setlist nolistsep

 % the pages of the TOC are numbered roman
 % and a pdf-bookmark for the TOC is added
 \pagenumbering{roman}
 \let\myTOC\tableofcontents
 \renewcommand\tableofcontents{%
   \pdfbookmark[1]{Contents}{}
   \myTOC
   \cleardoublepage
   \pagenumbering{arabic} }

% redefine the \LyX macro for PDF bookmarks
\def\LyX{\texorpdfstring{%
  l\kern-.1667em\lower.25em\hbox{y}\kern-.125e...@}
  {LyX }}

Problems:  The book included a works cited and recommended reading appendix
which I created manually.   I would have liked to have used Lyx's
bibliography feature, but I could not figure out how to make a bibliography
entry and have it appear only in the bibliography, but not in the text.
Because it is a nonacademic text, I did not want to disrupt the text's flow
with citations.   But I did want to tie the references to the text because I
did a lot of cutting and pasting sections from one chapter to another, which
then required me to manually correct the works cited section.

The "microtype" solved a lot of problems with margins.  And I think it
improved the book's look.

--
Jonathan Kroner
http://jonathankroner.com/