Dear listmembers,
dear Vincent,
dear Steve,
well, I can see, christmas just passed by, so I am not toooo sad about Vincent
for not having the red robe and the beard.
But many thanks to Vincent, this really did the trick!

And, Steve, you do not have to make me a TeXnician - I readily am (since
roughly 18 years). However, I want to give you the example where I keep _not_
using a special environment and do _not_ want to write an extra TeX style in
order to achieve my task:

When including figures in reports, I mostly (but not always) put them
centered, in contrast, the remainder of the text remains aligned justified.

And I am sure that I could potentially write a specific environment doing
this, use "myfigure" readily containing the \begin{center}/\end{center}
sequence, but I don't.

I hardly cope with 300 page documents, I rather have between 2 and 30 pages.
And there is no problem for me with parsing optically whether all figures are
justified as I want them to be - I'll have to do this anyway because the size
of the figure and their positions should fit to the text around it, and no
LaTeX in the world will bear the burden for me to judge whether or not
figuresize and remaining text go together well - from a visual standpoint.

By the way, there are several points like this we discuss on our TeX-round
table once a month. Whenever I rise the point and say that float.sty with the
capability of using "H" for figure placement can be very useful I may end up
in lenghty discussions. I am on the pragmatic side, every other time
prefering simplicity in approach to programming beauty - but not everybody
shares this point of view :-))))

But thank you _very_ much for the huge amount of time you've spent for your
answer!

Best regards,
thanks again

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \
                 /\_/\           |

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)
*******
*******