I think this argument is a little categorical.
There are many frameworks that would do the version management. But choosing
one for the user and recommending it by making it the default is making life
for users easier.

And well, the binary I downloaded was platform dependent, it was a .exe
file.

But the net benefit would be that enabling version management would be as
easy as clicking into the file menu as opposed to making your way through
the already impressive documentation.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers,

Niko