On Monday 02 February 2009, Helge Hafting wrote:
> If quotes is the only problem, take a look at the dialog for selecting
> quote styles. There are many options there. Perhaps a "ascii-only" style
> could be added there, and solve this particular problem.  It could have
> "double" and 'single' quotes using ascii.

Helge,

In this particular case, the quotes are the problem.  But the purpose of the
restriction on the mailing list is to make it accessible to everyone by
banning Microsoft formats.  The filters which catch RTF (for example) also
catch Unicode, in this case quotes, but it could easily be accented
characters or other non-ASCII characters such as ø.  The ascii-only quote
style would solve the problem with quotes, but leave any other unicode
characters.  Interestingly, the 1500 word post which raised the list
administrator's ire included a single sentence in Spanish with two accented
characters in it -- he didn't notice that.

But I have solved the problem by adding an ASCII format and defining a
conversion from text to ASCII using recode.

--
Les