On Friday 13 February 2009 09:45:55 Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> Hi.  I am putting together a family history.  My publisher and I both like
> B5 size pages, but B5 paper is not available in small quantities to
> practise on.
>
> I find that if I write at system default (A4) then reduce it to B5 or A5,
> only the printing is reduced.  I have a small printed area on A4 paper,
> near the top left corner.  Even exporting to Postscript does the same
> thing.
>
> I think that what is happening is that the printing is in the corner of the
> sheet, the way it would be put on a photocopier, while my printer centres
> the smaller sheet, so the printing is displaced relative to the media.
>
> The above reads "as clear as mud," but I am sure that this issue has arisen
> before.  What is the way around it?
>
> TIA,
>
> Doug.

Are you concerned about final output, or about producing draft versions similar
enough to the final output to allow visual inspection of the pages?

If about final output: what is the publisher requesting? Camera-ready copies
(in Pdf format, I would suppose)? In that case, I would set up the page you
want with the geometry package, and add cropmarks to indicate the real
margins.

Or is the publisher going to reset the manuscript in a DTP package, and you
are only worried about your draft versions? In taht case just changing the
margins , as it has been suggested, could be enough.

S.

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
Texas A&M University              Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  fran...@philosophy.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-4237