On 2009-02-09, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> I'm using LyX 1.6.1 with TeXLive 2007 on Linux (Gentoo).

> I created a new document using the "article" class and selected "Greek"
> as language.  The document is a mix of English and Greek, but there's a
> problem: even though English words appear correctly in LyX, the final
> PDF output shows English using the Greek alphabet.  For example, instead
> of "executive", I see "εξεςυτιε".

Greek text can be input either with the correct unicode chars or with a
Latin transcription (this is a feature to help people without a Greek
keyboard and pre-dates Unicode).  This is why LaTeX will typeset English
text with Greek letters if it believes it to bee Greek text.

You need to tell LyX which parts of the document are Greek and which are
English:

  Select the English text and choose Edit>Text style>Custom>Language English

(Subsequent parts can be changed easier by selecting and clicking the
"Font" button right of the Emphasis and Small-Caps button or with Alt-x
textstyle-apply)

If you happen to need this feature regularely, define a keybinding for
setting the text language to English or Greek.

As the other way round (some Greek words in a non-Greek text) is the more
common case (outside Greece), it works with recent LyX versions. (BTW:
there is also planned/prepared support for polytonic Greek characters
from the "Greek extended" Unicode block.)

This is the base for the proposed workaround to set the document to
English and re-defining the headings etc. in the preamble. However, this
is only advisable for existing documents with lots of Greek/English
changes and lack of time to fix them.

Günter