On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 03:29 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> > Hi Niko!

[...]
> So the current behavior is neither a bug nor a configuration problem?

Yep! Guenter Milde kindly explained the problem (off-list). If you speak
German I can send you more about the "problem".

> I'm afraid I have no idea what all those commands you posted are doing
> or how they work.

I did not understand a thing in the beginning as well :-). But sometimes
it's, fortunately or unfortunately, necessary to mess with some TeX.

So, I'll try to clarify it:

- When you set the language to English you will have NO more the
*greeklish* problem (e.g. you type "grass" and you get "γρασσ").

- The *new* problem you will face is that the "Table of Contents",
"Figure" and all other titles (if I may call them so) will be printed in
English. In order to get those in Greek you can use the commands I've
posted.

>   I thought I don't have to deal with TeX when using
> LyX (which is why I thought I'll try out LyX in the first place; usually
> I use Open Office even though I'm not really happy with it with math and
> document structure, but at least it gets English+Greek correctly in the
> PDF export.)
>
> Anyway, I'll try them out.

IMHO, if you stick with LyX you'll be paid back for your time. Of
course, I have to admit, there are some problems especially when you
want to co-operate with non-LyX users to exchange documents. See this
*LONG* thread [2]

> > [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg70445.html
>
> This link doesn't work.

It works for me. The threads is the following:

Adjust the \appendix to match "kerkis" fonts
Nikos Alexandris
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 09:01:20 -0800

---
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg70618.html
Strategies for Writing Co-operation with Non-LyX Users?
Peter Baumgartner
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:03:00 -0800