> Then this is a bug. Report it at bugzilla.lyx.org with a minimal example and
> context-information (KDE or Gnome or ...).

I will collect more information then file bugs.

> You can define keybindings to "language english" and "language ..." to
> speed things up.

Thanks, I will look into that.

> This seems to be related to the recent "English in Greek" threads.

I will read them.

> How should this be done? How do you change languages in "every other
> application"?

I have several different keyboard layouts defined. I activate the
different keyboard layout and just start typing. The application
handles directionality. Many applications have directionality issues,
but I've never come across one in Linux that displayed text backwards
(in Hebrew or English).

> From the character?
> -> How could LyX guess whether I write German vs. English, or Russian vs.
>   Bulgarian or Hebrew vs. Jiddish?

Here is where I think that the term "language" is important to _not_
be used. It doesn't matter in what language I'm writing, but different
alphabets have different directionality. There is a whole law (study)
of the field that is usually called bidi. See this document (pay
attention only to the "logical" ordering, the "visual" ordering is
outdated):
http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/bidi/

> From the system setting?
> -> Write a script that does both, changing the system setting and passing
>   language ... to the LyXserver.

No, from the characters, as stated above.

>> Lyx is Qt based, and I know that Qt handles this internally. Could it
>> be that Lyx is trying to handle the directionally, then Qt does it too,
>> and therefore they cancel each other out? Like encoding rot13 twice?
>
> LyX needs to take this into consideration twice: for screen output
> (using QT) and for LaTeX export (LaTeX, of course is QT-agnostic).
> There might be room for improvement.

I see, thanks Günter. I will ask on the Israeli Linux list about Lyx
and LaTex in Hebrew. I will file the appropriate bugs.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü