> For LyX (or LaTeX) it is important to know in what language you are
> writing. Not only the directionality, but also font encoding (while LyX
> uses Unicode by now, LaTeX does not) and hyphenation depend on this.

I see, I did not realize that LaTeX does not support unicode. I
suppose that it never will, from what I've been reading the past few
days it looks like there will be no new features added.

In any case, my language does not support hyphenation! Maybe that is
the reason that I hate reading hyphenated documents in English.

>> No, from the characters, as stated above.
>
> Still, a keyboard switch "hotkey" could also be programmed to send a
> language changing command to lyx via the lyxserver.

I would very much like to know how to do that.

>> ... I will ask on the Israeli Linux list about Lyx and LaTex in Hebrew.
>> I will file the appropriate bugs.
>
> Fine.

No answers yet! But I will persist.

> I remember that one Israeli user reported to use an English keyboard
> setting on the system level together with the hebrew kmap in LyX, so
> this might be a starting point...

Would you happen to know his name, email address, or a text snippet
that I could google to find his post?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü